Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Truckload Tuesdays: Sally Beauty Steals and a Mini Review

No, I did not steal from Sally Beauty but for the price of the polishes that I got, it sure felt like I did! I did a quick run last weekend and ended up going home with five new pretties.

Gift set that I got for $8.99 + taxes.

Back of the box set.

L-R: Fowl Play, Sweet Peacock and Lucky Duck

This boxed set was such a no-brainer. Three full-sized Orly polishes and a pretty faux suede wristlet with feather accents for only $8.99 (with a Sally Beauty Club card)? Yes, please! I've been wanting to get my hands on Fowl Play since it came out but I waited, thinking that I'd rather get Cult Nails Unicorn Puke/Clairvoyant over it. Good thing I did and scored a great deal with this set! Better still that the two other polishes that came with it were the exact same colors I also wanted from the collection. I guess this is one of those few, few moments where delaying and waiting till the last minute makes it worth it?

Impulse buys: China Glaze Lighthouse and Glittering Garland, and a hand cream

I saw that China Glaze was also on sale and $1 off if you purchase 2 so I figured it was a good time to get Glittering Garland. I've been looking for Emerald Sparkle and have never seen it anywhere so when Glittering Garland came out, I was pretty excited that it would make a good substitute for now. Plus, it was a flakie. You know I had to have a flakie. Lighthouse was the hubby's pick since he says I don't have enough yellow. (As a matter of fact I only have a single yellow in my stash. Well, unless you count a color changing polish that changes from yellow to orange, then that would make it two.)

As for the hand cream, the cheapie/discount sucker in me couldn't pass up a 99 cent deal at the counter. *sigh* You can never have enough hand cream, can you?

Yuletide Vanilla by Beyond Belief (strange name for a brand)

Ingredient list at the back.

A dollop of the hand cream on skin.

I wish I can say that this is the best 99 cents I've ever spent on a hand cream but really, you get what you paid for. I do like that it's not particularly greasy feeling but I don't feel it's very moisturizing to begin with. It'll work for those my-hands-are-parched-beyond-belief-and-I'll-take-even-bacon-drippings-to-moisturize moments (that might explain the brand name..?), otherwise, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. As for the Yuletide Vanilla scent, it really doesn't smell particularly yultide-y or vanilla-y. I find the bergamot overpowers any sweetness from the vanilla that it actually smells like a perfume you'd expect an older lady to wear. No, don't get me wrong. It doesn't smell bad. But it's such a strong smell and you know what they say about too much of a good thing..? That.

The moral of this story is to never pick up anything from the counter, no matter how tempting or cheap that something might be. Put the blinders on, pay for your purchases and leave with quality products that you wanted in the first place. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Hammie asks: Are you an impulse shopper? Do you delay purchases till the last minute to score a better deal or do you jump on the bandwagon as soon as the next big beauty thing comes along?

8 comments:

  1. When I first saw the hand cream you picked up, I was instantly intrigued because it had the word "vanilla" in it. Too bad that it smelled like strong perfume - sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Well, thanks for the warning! At least you didn't fork over too much.

    Nice choices with the Orly polishes. I already know they'll look amazing on your nails! :) And I'm curious to see the yellow China Glaze one swatched on you. I don't have it, and I think that's the kind of yellow that I absolutely cannot pull off...unless I do silly nail art on top of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo glad that you got Fowl Play... It first, not knowing any better, I was worried that Clairvoyant and Fowl Play would have the same end result (but the colour/shape/formula etc) is VERY DIFFERENT now that I have tried both out *phew* ;)
    That gift set WAS a steal! Good going Girl!

    I had a chance to pop into a Sally Beauty store with Magda and took a whiff of the gingerbread cream you feature... I too expected some creamy cinnamon smell and walked out feeling like I had just hugged an older lady long enough to have her scent transfer onto me ;) It was strong... it was pleasant, but it was strong (the scent... not the imaginary hug)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were 4 different scents that were all holiday themed but like you, I was intrigued by the promise of "vanilla". Plus, I was curious to know what the difference of a "yuletide vanilla" is from the regular, plain ol' vanilla. Good thing I'm not a cat! :P And yeah, 99 cents isn't too bad considering it's fairly good sized tube.

    Thanks, Mary! :) I'm warning you, that yellow does not look any better on me than you might think. I doubt I'd wear it alone either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks, Marta! I was wondering the exact same thing. That was also partly why I held back on getting Fowl Play. Good to know they're very different! :D

    Oooooh. Now I'm curious if the vanilla I got was better that the gingerbread one. Funny that you mention it, because I was choosing between the two! And yes, I definitely agree with the scent transfer metaphor. It would be funny if the imaginary hug was stronger than the scent--that's one strong imaginary older lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow three full sized Orlys for that price! What a steal. I just purchased my first from them and love the brand. I may have to stalk my sallys and see if they have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great haul! I was very tempted by the Orly set when I saw it at Sally's a few weeks ago. For three bottles, 8.99 is really great! I passed it up though, even if I really do want Fowl Play. Sweet Peacock is pretty too, but I might have a dupe for it. Another great choice with Glittering Garland! I have it and I think it's my favorite Christmas polish of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is, Amber! It's such a great value too, considering you get more polish for your money's worth (18mL vs the usual 15mL and less). I hope you find it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Melissa! Wow, you have way more discipline than I do. I salute you! :) Is it OPI Swimsuit..Nailed It? I heard both were really similar but I passed on that collection so I'm really happy to have Sweet Peacock as I have nothing like it. Fowl Play is pretty awesome, too!

    I was actually looking at Holly-Day first and when I saw it was in another set of 3 full-sized China Glaze polishes for $7.99 I almost caved. Glad I didn't as Glittering Garland is gorgeous! I can definitely see how it's reached favorite status. You've great taste! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...